Monday, September 28, 2009

The PK 27 -- Game No. 3


You know, just today I was thinking about the PK 27, and I said to myself, There haven't been any Sega Saturn games listed. What's the deal with that? which in turn, got me thinking about the game I'd choose, if any. Sure, the Saturn wasn't the best console, but the system had its moments, and the cleverly-titled Saturn Bomberman (Hudson Soft, 1997) was one of them.

The graphics weren't spectacular, the music was serviceable, and the concept itself was antiquated at best; but the execution is what made this game so cool. Hell, you could play with up to nine other friends (granted, the most I had ever gathered was seven, because hey, it was a challenge to round up seven Saturn controllers, let alone seven friends, on account of my profuse nerdiness, but digressions, digressions) in an all-out battle to the (digital) death via explosive instruments of mass destruction. Yeah.

You could also play as one of several memorable Hudson Soft characters, such as Bonk and....some other folks, but whatever; you could play as colorful icons, as well as ride dinosaurs(!), each of whom could perform useful tricks to aid you in battle.

I know it sounds like I'm ragging on the game, and in a way I am, but in another, more accurate way, I adore Saturn Bomberman, because it was simple, albeit chaotic (perhaps antiquated) fun. You didn't need to memorize countless secret moves or cheats to have a smashing time, just the will to blast and trash your friends.



No comments: