Monday, July 03, 2006

The Top Hip-Hop Songs -- Posse Cut Edition

Before we get started, let me first make a quick movie recommendation. If you haven't seen Craig Brewer's awesome film, Hustle & Flow, do so as soon as you can. Yes, it's a hip-hop-themed urban drama, but don't let that deter you. Even if you hate hip-hop (which ironically begs the question "why are you reading this post?"), I can almost guarantee you'll dig this flick. It's phenomenal, possibly the best film I've seen this year.

You've probably heard already about Terrence Howard's career-defining performance, but this movie is far from a one-trick pony. The cast, direction, and score are all amazing. I never thought I'd say this, but Anthony Anderson (of TV's Hang Time, and Kangaroo Jack fame) and DJ Qualls are both surprisingly outstanding, and the rest of the actors -- particularly Taryn Manning, Taraji P. Henson and Ludacris -- are pitch-perfect.

I won't talk your ear off any further, save this: Chud.com's Devin Faraci said that if 8 Mile is hip-hop's version of Rocky, Hustle & Flow is its Raging Bull. A very apt analogy, in my opinion.

Trust me, this is a film you need to see. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you'll contract cancer.

*****

Scenario by A Tribe Called Quest (feat. the Leaders of the New School)

Has the distinction of being possibly the best posse joint AND the best hip-hop video ever created.

Live at the Barbecue by Main Source (feat. Joe Fatal, Akinyele, and Nas)

Ladies and gentlemen, Nasir Jones. He kidnapped the president's wife without a plan. I have a feeling he'll be a star someday.

Back to the Grill Again by MC Serch (feat. Red Hot Lover Tone, Chubb Rock, and Nas)

Ladies and germs, Nasty Nas. He enjoys waving automatic guns at nuns. His stardom doth approach nearer.

Also, that kid Tone is going to produce some tracks for Nas and parlay that into a multi-million dollar entertainment venture. And Puffy will break a champagne bottle over his dome (or was that Poke?).

Represent by Showbiz & AG (feat. D Shawn, Big L, and Lord Finesse)

You know you've got a remarkable young talent on your hands when the kid manages to outshine Lord Finesse on a track. That's Starks dunking on MJ-level shit. R.I.P.

Bring It On by the Geto Boys (feat. a shitload of dudes you've probably never heard of)

Just a superb posse track from the Rap-A-Lot roster, most of which (save for Devin the Dude and, um, that's about it) would never go on to anything bigger and better. But each MC's energy and level of hunger here are undeniable. The best part: it goes on for over 7 minutes. The best posse cut not titled Scenario to end an album.

Buddy (remix) by De La Soul (feat. The Jungle Bros., A Tribe Called Quest, and Monie Love)

I'm not even sure the remix is better than the album version, but I figured I'd throw this up instead, because there's a chance Monie might read it. I figure she needs the love.

The Symphony by Marley Marl (feat. Craig G, Masta Ace, Kool G Rap, and Big Daddy Kane)

THE prototypical posse cut. Also contains the most recognizable piano loop save the one Ced Gee, via God, relayed to Scott La Rock.

Left It To Us by Cage (feat. El-P, Aesop Rock, Tame 1, and Yak Ballz)

Is it too early to proclaim this a classic? Only time -- both the song's running length, which is way too short, and the fact that it was released just last year -- says yes.

But fuck it. It gets the nod regardless. I don't even care that one of the MC's has the unfortunate moniker Yak Ballz.

I Shot Ya (remix) by LL Cool J (feat. Keith Murray, Prodigy, Fat Joe, and Foxxy Brown)

While technically not a posse cut (I'm pretty sure LL recruited the guest-starring talent with greenbacks rather than through friendship), and featuring a slew of artists who suck something terrible these days, at the time it was released the guest stars were all at the top of their game (except Foxxy, because we all know her raps were ghost-written by Jay-Z), and they re-ignited LL's hunger.

By the way, if I had to compare LL to a ball player, he's gotta be Charles Barkley. He had the charisma, the talent -- yet I don't think he ever reached the caliber of a champion. Yes, Radio and Mama Said Knock You Out are classics, but LL always lacked consistency.

Bring The Noise (remix) by Public Enemy (feat. Anthrax)

Before I get any hate mail for this, let me first state that I loathe this song. It's not very good, for one thing; and it can be attributed (along with Faith No More's Epic, which is actually quite good) to jump-starting the rap/rock fusion that was lying dormant since the Beastie Boys and RUN-DMC ceased to be relevant years before. Yes, some bands got it right (I'm looking at you, Rage Against the Machine), but far more got it horribly wrong, and this song is largely to blame. But it deserves its place in music history. In that way, I consider it to music what DW Griffith's Birth of a Nation is to film.

3 comments:

denz said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB_sYA6Sri4 -> Ups.

Although you can't mention Scenario without upping the Remix.

... and Headbanger.

Harrison Forbes said...

I was considering Headbanger, but decided not to because a) Redman, from what I recall, completely outshines the other MCs, and b) other than Reggie, the only guest is K-Solo, isn't it? Das isn't on there, right?

And I'm a total K-Solo hater.

Also, because I decided to omit 'Hardcore,' for the same reasons above (minus The Letterman), I couldn't in good conscience leave in 'Headbanger'.

By the way, this was by no means a TOP TEN posse joints. I'm sure I left out a few others that could have been mentioned over some of the joints I selected.

Sucka MC*_*

Harrison Forbes said...

"I'm sure I left out a few others that could have been mentioned over some of the joints I selected."

Case in point:

'Go Where I Send Thee' by Masta Ace.

Damn.

('Saturday Nite Live' also probably deserves recognition, but it was released under the INC label, so I suppose it's not a posse cut per se.)