Monday, May 22, 2006

The Top Hip-Hop Songs

First off, if you're a fan of Outkast and haven't already heard their phenomenal new song, The Mighty O, get thee to Limewire -- or whatever program it is that you steal music from -- and check it out. It's amazing.

The biggest surprise is that Andre raps the first verse. I'm probably as big a fan of The Love Below as there is, but when he mentioned in an interview after that album's release that he was considering giving up rapping and sticking solely to singing, I was very sorry to hear it. But just like those rumors of a breakup, it appears I worried unnecessarily.

Dude still has game like Parker Brothers.

Big Boi also nails his verse, and the song is a throwback to the groups early days as recording artists. In fact, if Big Boi didn't mention his daughter's name, I would have sworn it was an early demo.

Here's hoping their sixth studio album, Idlewild, to be released sometime in August (I'll believe that when I have the CD in my hands; it was originally slated for Dec. 11, 2005), is another classic. The Mighty O is definitely a step in the right direction towards that laudable feat.

***

La Di Da Di by Doug E. Fresh, featuring MC Ricky D (Slick Rick)

The art of storytelling, indeed. One of the rare classic hip-hop songs with a beatbox (from the legendary Mr. E. Fresh) as the sole accompaniment to The Ruler's gift of gab.

Rockin' It by The Fearless Four

The song's lyrics are actually pretty weak, even for its time, but it's the beat that makes this one of the best party joints ever recorded.

Just Hangin' Out by Main Source

And I like to hang out and hustle with my friends. Possibly Large Professor's best lyrical outing, and a classic song with such a simple premise: Extra P name drops his friends and acquaintances, and provides commentary on a trip through the neighborhood. Yields dope results. It's that simple, just like the title suggests.

Nitty Gritty by KMD (w/Brand Nubian)

Criminally underrated posse joint from the two 5% Nation crews. When was it that rappers forgot the cardinal rule of the posse cut: keep the beat at a fast tempo?

Run's House by Run-D.M.C.

Speaking of up-tempo tracks. Doesn't slow down from beginning to end, and the cuts by the lamentably departed Jam Master Jay are as frenetic and memorable as you'll likely hear on a hip-hop song. Remains a classic despite this fey bit from Rev. Run's first verse: make ya dance and prance. Um, let's move on.

Soul by the Pound (remix) by Common Sense

To this day I'm pissed that this wasn't included on Ressurection as a bonus track. It's my favorite Common song of all time. Even though the original from Can I Borrow a Dollar? has the topical line got Seoul like South Korea , the lyrics of the remix blow the original's away. And I am about to explo-o-o-ode!

My Melody by Eric B and Rakim

Honestly, I'm not really sure why Ra's 7 MCs part gets so much hype, because, while it's great and all, the guy has a ton better dope lines, even on the very same song which announced His coming. Not your typical MC, huh? The guy flows for five verses! Praise the God.

The Breaks by Kurtis Blow

How come knuckleheads these days can't come up with a similar concept this unique and accessible? These are the breaks, I guess.

(break it up, break it up, break it up!)

How I Could Just Kill a Man by Cypress Hill

I used to believe DJ Muggs would last forever on his dusty production and variations of the Prince wail. I was wrong. But, man, who doesn't love this song? And why can't groups or MCs today make "gangsta rap" like this that still possesses some level of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously? Sen Dog's occasional constipated shouts of emphasis is one of my favorite MCing gimmicks of all time, by the way. Just behind Das EFX's iggities, which of course will never be topped.

California Love by 2Pac

Here is why Dre is a genius, even while some doubt remains as to whether or not he is in fact an actual doctor: that Joe Cocker sample was sitting there for like a billion years, yet no one used it, likely because not many hip-hop producers listen to Joe Cocker, but also because 99 out of 100 producers probably wouldn't have recognized its potential even if they had heard it. California Love is one of the few hip-hop songs released in the 90s that can be called both street and pop (Flava In Ya Ear comes to mind as another, and no doubt I'll make room for it in the future).

1 comment:

Harrison Forbes said...

Regarding 'Soul by the Pound':

Obviously I felt a great affinity for Com after hearing the line "I didn't see CB4 'cause I heard that shit was wack."

And "think fast, cause I'm the Ramadan"?

Like Kenny Smith said after Vince's dunk on All Star Weekend 2000: It's over!