Sunday, March 21, 2010

Requiem for the Dearly Retarded



It has come to my attention that my term of endearment for Psychedelic Kim Corn Carn readers, "Constant Retards," might be hurtful. That was never my intention. I'm unsure exactly when I coined the term, but its influence, as you perhaps already know, stemmed from Stephen King referring to his readership as "Constant Readers." Consider it an in-joke that might have gotten out of hand.

I'm aware that the epithet "retard" is usually malicious, yet my usage of the word was never meant to be so. Nevertheless, what I failed to sympathize with until now is the proportion of people reading Psychedelic Kimchi who are either handicapped themselves or related to those who are, and if I have ever offended anyone by my inconsiderate use of the word, I'm truly sorry.

And so it is that I propose a new moniker for Psychedelic Chimki's tastefully discerning readership, one both classy and original. You'll find my five alternatives in the newest poll. Feel free to protest my decision or suggest your own in the comments.

Excelsior,

E

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think one of the things I really like about your blog is that you don't seem to care too much about pandering to your audience: you don't always answer comments, you don't link to other blogs and you don't tiptoe around your readers. It's not all about the "stats".

I know you aren't *trying* to be rude (usually, anyway?) and I suspect that, on some level, it must be important to you that you *have* readers, but overall I enjoy the fact that you (both) are unpretentious and uninhibited. Also, it's worth keeping in mind that just because *some* retarded people might be pissed, or because some friends of retarded people might be annoyed or hurt, it doesn't mean that all do or will. Some of my best friends are retarded and they love your blog.

Personally, it's the recognition of the "Constant" part that floats my boat. I vote for "leave it".

Kmork said...

Just don't change it to Constipated Retards (because we'd have to add ourselves to the list).

SuperFantabulous said...

I'm thinking you should move on to your next highly sensitive minority group. Don't want to leave anyone out, right?
Perhaps a flock of 'Queer Ducks' are on the horizon?

Kmork said...

1) Cock-Rockin' Peeps

2) Fraggle Rockers