Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Day (Quiz)

I've never been a huge fan of Thanksgiving as far as holidays are concerned. The food is good, the family stuff is fine, and the day off from school/work/life is grand, but the day itself was never exquisitely memorable. Thanksgiving, as far as our family viewed it, was just a day to eat together as a group; beyond that, it was a day for my sister to listen to New Kids on the Block tapes while she hopped up and down on the trampoline in the basement (don't ask), an excuse for my brother to spend additional time with his high-school sweetheart's family (they got married, and subsequently divorced several years later, wee!), a brief reprieve from the midlife crisis gripping my father's consciousness, extra work for my mother, and more time for me to spend with my favorite babysitter, the television (but only when my parents were home, mind you). All in all, nothing spectacular, yet nothing atrocious, either. Standard fare, if anything need be said, though my brother usually took the time to run me down to the video store to rent a horror movie or two, as Thanksgiving, like any holiday, was the perfect excuse to further engage what brought me the greatest pleasure. Americana at its finest, if I do say so myself.


Anyway, it must have been 1987 (perhaps 1988) that I rented Wes Craven's mediocre Deadly Friend, a film that tells the all-too-familiar tale of boy meets girl, girl gets beaten savagely by her father, boy saves girl by implanting prototype computer chip in girl's brain. Trite, perhaps, but hey, when you're a kid that sort of thing appeals to you, and if you're lucky, you get to witness moments of cinematic excellence such as:


Upon experiencing said moment, my initial reaction had been:

A) Don't fuck with Kristy Swanson!

B) What the fuck!?! Rewind that shit!

C) Anne Ramsey sure has come a long way from The Goonies / Anne Ramsey is such a versatile actress.

D) I'm not so hungry anymore, at least not for cranberry sauce.

E) I wonder if I could do that to my sister's ghetto blaster and get away with it.

F) I need to poop.

Choose, but choose wisely, if only for my betterment.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Harrison Forbes said...

Kristy Swanson with a basketball, and she explodes Mama's head with it?

Ecstasy is too small a word.

Snake said...

My votes on B then F in that order. Thats what happened to me at least.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine that a 7 or 8 year old would think of anything after that except D), or maybe E).

As an aside, HHA, I hope you'll raise me to to heights in your esteem since it took me 12 hours to get up the courage to watch that clip, and now I feel really, really shaky. But I did it just to answer your poll.

That's how we show affection over in Running With Chopsticks!

Word verification: red arc!

Kmork said...

Twinkles: No answer? I pity you, Bundang Bowie.

Snake: I applaud your honesty, sir. Think of Psychedelic Kimchi as the toilet paper of your life.

(Melissa): You are the Red Arc of my life!*


* I have no idea what that means, but it sounds cool.

Anonymous said...

Aw, sweet!