Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Wire Appreciation No. 1294 (9816)



Word to Fuzzy Dunlop. As you may have heard,

(the Korean peninsula is going to become a sea of fire!*)

the other day I received The Wire: The Complete Series on DVD, and since then -- when I haven't been working or trying to find out new ways to blink adorably -- I've been balls deep in the greatest story ever told. (No hyperbole.)

This moment, from episode 4 of the first season, isn't as easy a "gag" to catch as you might think upon initial viewing. A metaphor of the show's larger theme, Episode 4's desk parable is No. 1294 on our list of why we love The Wire.


* Is it wrong to celebrate North Korea's second nuke test by recalling its first, which Mehmet occurred on the day I met Legs? 2006, it was. A Monday. I was kinda stressed out (though not really because of the North's nuclear experiment), and she poured me a double shot of Jack Daniels. Love at first sight. And here I sit at my laptop, two and a half years later, reminiscing about a nuclear bomb test like it was our moment, our song. Life is a funny animal.

No comments: