Thursday, October 11, 2007

The PK 27 -- Track 0

You didn't think I could throw together a Radiohead album review and marinate, did you? Especially since I feel pretty much the same way about In Rainbows the evening after (what can I say, I live in Asia). I want you to be the woman I used to know and love, Radiohead. I'm trying to

(squeeze blood from a stone)

unearth beauty in something so ugly -- relatively speaking, I mean.


(Beautiful, also, is the sun*.)

Since I live in Asia, and I am/they are (I can't tell the difference anymore**) all about saving face, I will say this: In Rainbows is better than Hail to the Thief. And Pablo Honey. And, maybe, Amnesiac.

Doesn't change the fact that In Rainbows is simply good/great and not great/great.

Look, it happens. Abbey Road and Let It Be ARE fantastic albums. But are they as good as The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Revolver, and Rubber Soul? No goddamn way.

IDJ, I love you like I love my dick size, but to suggest that In Rainbows is possibly the greatest Radiohead album baffles me immeasurably. Are there two consecutive tracks on the album that can compare to the Jordan/Pippen-esque combo of "Karma Police" and "Letdown"? Does "15 Step" hold a candle to "Planet Telex," "Airbag," "Everything in Its Right Place," and, maybe, "2+2=5"?

I'm in love with "Bodysnatchers," "All I Need," and "Videotape". Soon, it's gonna be lust with "Reckoner". I was too harsh on "Reckoner," for sure.

But 4 absolutely great tracks on a 10-song album? Like apples and orange juice, that shit don't make sense. Word to the ghost of Nasir Jones.

___

And here's where I get to The Bends. And here's where I get (back) to irony.

"Fake Plastic Trees" MAY be the best Radiohead song ever recorded. That's debatable. Regardless, it IS the greatest song ever made. And that's not.

I present to you, Constant Retard, the best song ever made AND the shittiest video ever made.

2 for 1. Sale in aisle 3.




* Write that on my epitaph!

** I am being satirical. So that is OK. I'm hiding behind the satirical card. Come find me.

No comments: