Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The PK 27 -- Japanese Import

Warning: bad shades of green in the video below include lime, puke lime, neon lime, and "I'm not putting this in your Corona because it will kill you" lime*.

Say what you want about 50 Cent,

(c'mon, this is the Internet; call my mother a skeezoid and threaten to kill me; I have no legal recourse. Have at it, young angst-ridden haterz)

but dude still possesses a tiger-like ferocity on the mic when properly motivated. In this case, motivation is amply supplied by a choice Milk D sample. Not to beat a dead mixed metaphor sprinkled with a vague T.S. Eliot reference, but you can hear fire in an earful of lust from Curtis's delivery; give him a good (more drums, less synth) beat, and he's finna ride that mother to glory, eye of the tiger style.

There's a Vince Carter analogy creeping up somewhere in the back of my spine, but I'm too vindictive to follow through.

What I'm trying to say is this**: 50 used to be THE underdog in the rap game. He made a record rhyming about how he was going to rob the top-selling hip-hop artists of that time (1983, this was), and was subsequently marked for death. Word to Steven Segal and Omar Little. He was hungry; he wanted to eat at the grown-ups' table, and eventually he did. Then, somewhere along the way, he got complacent. It happens. Happens to the best (see: Jones, Nasir).

Survive bullet wounds then star in a --albeit shitty -- Hollywood movie, and get back to me vis a vis complaints for 50 taking it easy for a while/forever.

To make a short story shorter, what makes "I Get Money" a rare gem is that we, for a fleeting moment, get to see 50 Cent back in his element -- vomit-colored shirts, cars, and skirts notwithstanding.




* Although, if you're a guy ordering a Corona with lime, you probably deserve to die. Word to vitriol.

** Indication no. 135 that I'm tired, drunk and lonely, and want to wrap this up as soonly*** as possible.

*** Made you look.

No comments: