Sunday, November 26, 2006

Exit Music (For a Film)

Last night

(I dreamed that somebody loved me)

I had the immense pleasure of hanging out with my doppelganger, Kmart. Despite some "issues" which forced us to return to Chez Sparkles prematurely*, a good time was had by two**. Perhaps I'm a man of simple pleasures, but any evening consisting of a discussion on the literary profundity of The Master (aka Fyodor Dostoevsky), copious amounts of a wide variety of alcoholic beverages***, and Walter Hill's The Warriors, is a choice one in my books.

And it was upon watching the closing credits of The Warriors, and hearing Joe Walsh's terrific song, "In the City," that I was reminded of a post I had long ago planned, when men were men and women wore bikinis to the supermarket.

Illmatic track 10 that I love film and music; so, as you can guess, the blending of the two is at times a cathartic experience for me. I'll be honest, I live for three things: sex, basketball, and art. And what I seek most is the climactic rapture of these things, whether they be orgasmic, buzzer beating, or the indescribable magic of aesthetic perfection.

As far as the latter goes, nowhere is it more important to me than the closing theme or song of a film. A great closing song or theme can make a poor movie better -- see: Reloaded: Matrix, The -- and can make a great movie as wonderful as a million tuna sandwiches with the crusts cut off. I'll admit that a lot of films take things too far musicwise, almost appearing as extended music videos, but when done right (the Martin Scorsese/Quentin Tarantino corollary) a good score/soundtrack works as the

(cocaine-laced)

icing on the proverbial cake.

And like I said, I live for the final moment**** -- the punch, as it were. So here follows a -- non-comprehensive; yeah, Star Wars, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark: all are amazing, but time is money, and I can't afford to discard dollars into dumpsters telling you what you already know -- list of some of the greatest closing songs and themes in filmdom, as well as a list of songs which I hope will someday be used as such. Feel free to agree, disagree, or add your own. Seriously, my comments section is a graveyard like Morningside; I'd appreciate the company.

Psychedelic Closing Song Kimochi:

- "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp," Hustle & Flow

- "Livin' Thing," Boogie Nights

- "We'll Meet Again," Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

- "Stand By Me," Stand By Me

- "Street Fighting Man," V for Vendetta

- "Pet Semetary," Pet Semetary

- "Don't You Forget About Me," The Breakfast Club

- "Dream Person," Chungking Express

- "Big Trouble in Little China," BTinLC

Psychedelic Closing Theme Kimcochi:

- "The Lonely Shepherd," Kill Bill: Vol. 1

- "The Gonk," Dawn of the Dead

- "The Last Waltz," Oldboy****

Psychedelic Closing Song Kimochi Hopefuls:

- "Black Star," by Radiohead

- "Pill," by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

- "Eye," by the Smashing Pumpkins (I know this was on the Lost Highway soundtrack, but I don't believe it's the closing song. I might be wrong.)

- "Someday," by The Strokes

- "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," by The Smiths

***

PS - I would be remiss if I didn't mention that

(I need a haircut)

Psychedelic Kimochi alum, the beautiful -- and tall -- Ms. Choi Yeo-Jin (최여진) cold got dissed tonight on 여걸6. I won't go into detail, because for me the grief is still too near (word to Orlando Bloom), but girlfriend was wronged in the worst way. Yeo-Jin, if you're reading (of course you are), I got your back like Thurman Thomas.

(That's how it was and that's how it is.)


* I'll never tell. Word to Kate Hudson and Brittany Murphy

** Make that three. For the first time since our early courtship, my wife is actually to blame for my hangover. I think.

*** Sadly, though, no snake liquor.

**** Then again, don't we all? Don't we all? That's deep like sleep.

*****The most beautiful piece of music ever written, I have to say (again).

2 comments:

Kmork said...

I'm going to need some time to give it thought, but off the top of my head:

'Seed of Memory', by Terry Reid, as used during the credits of The Devil's Rejects.

'Stop!' by Erasure, used during the credits of The Rules of Attraction. The song itself isn't much, but it is a fitting way to conclude the film.

idealjetsam said...

I cannot believe you found a supporter for the high school lit mag reject.

The Grand Literary Discourse(Discord) needs to happen now, as if you are actually tasked with proving that Fyodor was anything other than a whining teenager with a pen, you will fail miserably and run out of the room crying.

Fyodor's Grand Thesis:

People are bad and mean. Let me show you. See? People do selfish things. This is deep. See? See? Look what that guy did to that guy. And that guy, he did something bad too!! The end.

Gripping stuff really.