Sunday, August 20, 2006

Top 5...

... Songs About Boredom

A tribute to Sparkles, who bravely soldiers on sans familia.

1. Flowers on the Wall - The Statler Brothers
2. Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding*
3. I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
4. I'm So Bored With the USA - The Clash
5. Longview - Green Day

Well, Punk Rock was disproportionately represented there, which is odd for me. I've never been much of a Punk guy, but I guess Punk bands have more to say about boredom than most genres do.

Carry on, mi capitan, I'm sure the family will return post-haste to save you from crawling on the ceiling like the baby in Trainspotting. Until then, smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo will have to suffice.

*In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that number 2 was suggested by my lovely spouse, and I was not actually smart enough to think of it myself.


Look at those old pussy-hounds. They still got it too, I'll tell you what.

2 comments:

Harrison Forbes said...

Kudos, 1nce again.

As for 'Longview', it's also a great song about masturbation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_about_masturbation), which makes sense, as boredom and masturbating go hand in hand, er - as it were.

Or so I hear :?

TMH said...

I understand that "Longview" is actually about time the band spent in Longview,WA and they were god-awful bored.

As a side-note, a religion teacher at my Catholic High Schoolhanded out the lyrics to that song as an example as how horrible modern songs were. However the teacher had written "Smoking is my inspiration" which my brother hastened to correct.

"Mr. Schutte, it's not 'smoking is my inspiration,' it's 'smoking my inspiration.' C'mon."

My parents wasted their tuition money at that school.