Monday, July 24, 2006

Eat Me!

It occurred to me today that

(I really should be on television)

one way in which this site could benefit would be to have frequent restaurant reviews and recommendations. Now, I am aware that there are a few worthwhile Korean food blogs already in existence, and that those sites are undoubtedly more knowledgeable when it comes to cuisine than yours truly, whose predilection for SPAM and hot dogs has been well documented; but I also feel that Psychedelic Kimchi offers more humor, sexiness, and panache than those sites, and a regular food column would, in the hands of the right person, help us achieve cyclopean greatness. Or further cyclopean greatness, rather.

There's also the small fact that this site is partially named after the staple food of Korea (besides chocolate-covered corn chips, I mean), and a distinct lack of exposition on the arts culinary has gnawed at me for some time. Seriously, most nights I find I can't sleep.

I am therefore soliciting a new, food savvy, writer for Psychedelic Kimchi. Unique sense of humor and temperament for gastrointestinal adventure are a must. Smoking, drinking, gonzo-journalist preferred but not demanded. Vegetarians need not apply.

Those interested are encouraged to contact me at taka_spark@yahoo.com. Note: I am really, really hoping some females are interested. Seriously, this place is such a sausage-fest.

*****

Perhaps I can get the ball rolling with a restaurant recommendation of my own. On Saturday night, Idealjetsam -- truly this site's Jarobi -- and I had dinner at the prosaically-named 참치마을 (Tuna Village to you troglodytes).

Located near Seohyeon station in Bundang, for 25,000 won per person they serve the choicest cuts of tuna (and perhaps dolphin), and it's all-you-can-eat.

Sonny Corleone.

Eat all we could we most certainly did. We also enjoyed a kettle of 오십세주, which I mistook for regular 8% 백세주, much to my own inebriation.

My only two knocks on the place are that, while most of the side dishes were great, the enoki mushrooms topped with cheese and ketchup left much to be desired; and, midway through our meal, the chef served us -- ensconced in a lettuce leaf -- tuna sprinkled with roe, garnished with a sweet pickle and a dollop of peanut butter.

Fredo Corleone.

Sparkles's rating: 4 and a half out of 5 hot dogs.

No comments: