Tuesday, April 18, 2006

2006 NBA Playoffs


I have a confession to make. Two, actually. The first is that, for as long as I have been a fan of basketball, my favorite team has never won an NBA Championship. That's true of a lot of people, I know, but there's also this: the teams that I choose, by default, to win invariably end up losing. Of the teams I've rooted for in the NBA Finals, only the '91 and '92 Chicago Bulls won -- and they don't even count because I was firmly and fully on the bandwagon.

No, the post season isn't exactly full of happy memories for me. Sure, I've seen my share of magical moments (Larry Johnson's 4-point play against the Pacers and Allan Houston's buzzer-beating drive for the win in game 5 against Miami* instantly come to mind), but for every one of those there have probably been two heartbreakers: Reggie's 8-point Garden party and all the other Reggie "Knick Killer" moments; John Starks in game 7 against Houston; and don't even mention the guy whose initials are CS.

So, given my history of being letdown by the playoffs, why do I still manage to get excited thinking about the post season, almost like a kid anticipating Christmas even though he's aware there's no Santa Claus and that his parents are broke and can't afford any of the gifts he really wants?

What do I love about the NBA playoffs?

To begin with, everything**.

I love the atmosphere; I love the hightened intensity of the players and the crowds; I love that I can watch a game between two teams I care little about, and those teams can make me care; I love that multi-millionaires (most of them, anyway) are so driven to win, even though doing so doesn't inflate their bank accounts that substantially and means less vacation time; I love seeing how players are tested, seeing the ones who are considered great showing that, in the big scheme of things, they can't hang, and all of the heroic moments provided by those who can, the ones who truly deserve the honor of being called great when it matters. In retrospect, I even love the heartbreaking moments, those Reggie Miller daggers, those John Stockton daggers. Because what it all comes down to is passion. Passion to win at all cost on the biggest stage in the game of this beautiful sport we call basketball.

My second confession is that I'm a traitor, of sorts. There are teams I've always liked -- the Rockets, Sonics, Nuggets, Magic, Lakers, Kings...maybe a few others -- but for a long time my favorite team was the New York Knicks. I've mentioned before how they used to be my favorite team and how I abandoned ship on them a few years back. Not exactly treason, mind you, seeing as how I'm from southern Ontario and the only reason I got into them in the first place was because the NBC station in Buffalo always broadcasted a bunch of their games. When Toronto got the Raptors, they became my hometown team, the one I was more loyal to (possibly because I knew the Raps had a couple of years until they'd pose a serious threat to the Knicks), and they're still my hometown team, despite how shitty the team currently is, despite how poorly the franchise has been run these past few years. I'll always root for them. If that's myopic loyalty, so be it. In all honesty, I'm not hoping these days that the Raps improve and build a competitive team so much as I'm hoping the team remains in Toronto. A dream of mine came true when T.O. got an NBA franchise in 1995; if they were to move, that would really break my heart, and it's a definite possibility, unfortunately.

Anyway, back to me being a Benedict Arnold. It's no crime of sports loyalty (at least to me) that I no longer support the Knicks. Truthfully, if, probably sometime around 2050, they again manage to build a competitive team, I won't be back cheering for them. Their time -- the time of Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Charles Oakley, and even guys like Marcus Camby, Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell -- has passed for me. There's no turning back. No, what I've felt guilty about these past two years is that my favorite team not currently based in Canada is the Miami Heat.

See, I used to absolutely hate the Heat. As a Knicks fan in the mid to late-90's, I hated them almost as much as -- if not more than -- the Indiana Pacers. At least Reggie mixed in some comic relief with the tragedy. Miami though were a bunch of unlikeable, contemptible jerks, guys who you wished would take a hard foul and not get up from: Voshon Lenard, PJ Brown, Tim Hardaway, Alonzo Mourning***. As dirty as the Knicks often played, the Heat played dirtier. My Knicks never won an NBA championship, but in the end they did get the better of both the Pacers and Heat, and for what it's worth I'll take that.

Fast-forward five years later -- five years after the Knicks vanquished both teams and became the first 8th-seeded team to reach the finals. I inconceivably became a fan of the Miami Heat. It started slowly. At first I was interested in seeing this guy I'd heard a lot of good things about but had yet to see play: Dwyane Wade. This was also the year that Shaq became a member of the team, and I've always loved the big man. I noticed that, during November and December, and then into the new year, Star Sports Asia was broadcasting a lot of Heat games, and I watched every one. I became a fan of guys like Udonis Haslem (the new-millenial Charles Oakley), Damon Jones, and of course Dwyane Wade, who had a breakout year in 2004/2005 and who I still contend is a better player right now than Lebron James. The Heat became a sort of "home away from" home team for me, and even after Pat Riley overhauled much of the roster of a team which fell one win short of reaching the finals last year, I decided to stick with them, mostly because of Shaq and Wade.

Which brings us back to one of the points I initially made, that for as long as I've been a fan of the game, my favorite team has never won an NBA championship. Looks as though the trend will continue this year. I'm not naive; I realize the Heat pretty much have a snowball's chance in hell (or a missionary's chance in Fallujah) of making the finals, let alone winning it all. You and I know it's going to come down to two teams, one from Texas (likely the Spurs, maybe the Mavs), the other from Michigan. No real surprise there. In a strange way, the Miami Heat have become strikingly similar to those Knicks teams that I used to cheer for in the 90's. In that regard, I don't think anyone can blame me for keeping my expectations low this spring.

Yet, even though the final outcome of this year's playoffs is as predictable as a faulty twist-off in a case of beer, I'm still excited, still full of anticipation. With that in mind, here is a preview of the 1st round, which kicks off on Saturday.

Eastern Conference





vs.




I had a chance to watch the Bucks play at Detroit once this year, and in that game they fought hard and managed to, backed by the heroics of Michael Redd, take the game to overtime, wherein they summarily lost. But they showed that they can put up a fight. Unfortunately I think the Pistons will be so fine-tuned and ready for them that they'll struggle to win one game. It's within the realm of possibility, but my money's on the sweep.

Prediction: Pistons win series 4-0





vs.




I think the Heat dodged a bullet by not having to play the Pacers -- a team which bested them 3 times during the regular season -- in the 1st round. The Bulls will be a cakewalk, provided Dwyane Wade doesn't struggle against them as much as he has in the past. Scott "runnin' mad game as if my name were" Skiles is going to throw Tyson Chandler, Mike Sweetney, and the United Center janitor at Shaq, so it'll be up to Wade to lead the Heat. If Jason Williams and 'Zo were healthy (I haven't heard whether either of them will be back for the first round opener, and I doubt they will), the brooms would be out, but I'm guessing the Bulls will have a good shooting night at least once in this series, and will manage to steal a win.

Prediction: Heat win series 4-1





vs.




Despite their abysmal record (for a team of their talent and coaching acumen), I still believe the Pacers have what it takes to make it past the first round. I think this series will go seven, and part of me says the Pacers will overcome...but I've finally come around and am willing to admit that the Nets are for real. Still, they have no bench, and Lawrence Frank has exactly zero post season experience as a head coach. I wouldn't be shocked if the Pacers win the series, but I'm still giving NJ the edge.

Prediction: Nets win series 4-3





vs.




This is one of 2 first round matchups I'm most looking forward to. What will Lebron show us? Will Gilbert Arenas turn it up like he did in last season's series against the Bulls? Ultimately, I think the Wiz have the edge here because Eddie Jordan will light a fire under his guys' asses (plus he likely knows how to handle Larry Hughes), whereas Mike Brown, Lebron and Co. will experience some early jitters and show their playoff inexperience.

Prediction: Wizards win series 4-3

Eastern Conference Champs: Detroit Pistons


Western Conference





vs.




It's becoming an annual affair for people, myself included, to doubt the Spurs, and perhaps Gregg Popovich likes it that way. They're banged up, and Tim Duncan hasn't been Tim Duncan for much of the year. I think they'll find their old rhythm, but I also believe that the Kings have the ability to stifle and frustrate them, much in the same way the Sonics did in the 2nd round last year. This could be closer than expected. Then again, it probably won't.

Prediction: Spurs win series 4-2





vs.




I know I've written at least twice -- avec Amare in one scenario, sans in the other -- about how I could foresee the Suns getting swept in the first round, but now that we're here I have my head somewhat firmly leveled. Kobe's been a nightmare for them all season, and you should never underestimate Phillie Blunt, but still I think the Lakers will be lucky to take one at home.

Prediction: Suns win series 4-1





vs.




Here's the other first round series I'm excited about. I want the Nuggets to win, and actually -- insanely -- predicted them as Western Conference champs a month ago, but the Clippers have their number, I'm afraid. Denver lacks a solid outside shooting presence, and the Clips are going to exploit the fact. If Kenyon Martin (and Marcus Camby) can hold up, they'll have a chance and could push a game 7; and it'll be interesting to see whether 'Melo's clutch play this year carries over into the post season; but I still think the Clippers are taking this one. I'm rooting for Denver, but who could be mad at LA if they make it to the 2nd round? Someone with no heart, someone who kicks small, feeble animals, that's who.

Prediction: Clippers win series 4-2





vs.




This has the potential to surprise and go 7 games, much like the Rockets/Mavs first round series from a year ago. I'm not a big fan of the Griz, but it'd be nice if they could shake off the "one and done" hex that's threatening to loom over their heads until they can get a decent point guard. The most provocative story this series has to offer? Easy: hair vs. hair, Nowitzki vs. Gasol. Don't be surprised if a brawl occurs and some suspensions are handed out. Come to think of it, I am now officially excited about this matchup as well.

Prediction: Mavs win series 4-2

Western Conference Champs: San Antonio Spurs

2006 NBA Champs: Detroit Pistons


* True story: after Houston's shot banked in, I began jumping up and down, raised my arms and started yelling woooooo! woooooo! like a madman, then ran to take a victory lap of my house's first floor. As soon as I reached the kitchen, however, I slipped on a slice of processed cheese that my sister, trying to feed it to our cats, had left there. I fell and ended up spraining my wrist. My father, who was washing the dishes, had this to say: "What's going on? What in the bloody blue hell are you doing?"

** After Crowe/Crudup

*** To reiterate, I used to fucking despise 'Zo. Then, in 2001, I read an article in SLAM that made me realize how much heart the guy has and how big a risk he took (insane, perhaps), with kidney disease, choosing to play rather than retire. After that I couldn't hate on him, even though that face (you know the one) he sometimes makes, and his, shall we say, over-excitement and lack of control in big situations still gets me vexed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what no love for me? and my Rocky-esque victory in the play-offs?

Nets are my sleeper team in the East and the Kings are my sleeper team in the West. Artest should get some mention for MVP (if he were sane) for what he did in Sac-town.

They both had an amazing streak where they were taking on all comers.

Yes, Im rooting for the Nets because of VC.

Raptors will never leave Toronto, it wont and will not happen because I wont let it. If Babs was still in charge, I would have my doubts, but with the Babcock and Quinn firings; the ship has been righted.

Harrison Forbes said...

Next step: fire Sam Mitchell.

Congrats again on the W, brother. Whom are you hoping the Raps take in the draft this year?

Anonymous said...

On Sam Mitchell:

Basically it has come out that there was daily conflict with Babcock. Babs basically cornered Mitchell into playing "specific" guys. Thats why the rotations were so bad this year.

Mitchell has the confidence of the players and more specifically Bosh. babs put a horrible product on the floor, now we'll see what Mitchell can really do.

Draft: Im still bothered by what happened at the draft last year regarding Paul. My frontrunners, if we're picking at the 5 spot would either be Rudy Gay and Tiago Splitter.