Sunday, January 15, 2006

The 2008 USA Basketball Team

Although I'm Canadian, I always root for the USA national team when it comes to the World Championships and the Olympics. I've been a basketball junkie for most of my life, and I admire skill and talent. It's the same reason my favorite team is the Miami Heat (a team I once loathed): it's fun to watch a team with loads of talent and even more promise. And although I claim to hate the Pistons and Spurs, I'll never miss a televised game which either is playing in (the Pistons moreso than the Spurs), because it's remarkable to see the way they play, their game. In fact, when the Pistons beat Miami in Detroit a few weeks ago, I couldn't be mad; that's how much I admire what they do. It's the same for other stuff, too: I named The Game's The Documentary the best hip-hop album of 2005. It's not my favorite album of the year (which is probably Cage's Hell's Winter; it wasn't a great year for hip-hop music), but I have to give it up when something is put together as perfectly as that album was. You might argue that the album is subpar, just as one might argue that the Pistons are not all that -- but in both cases there's usually a bias behind it.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

And that's what I tend to do when watching the US national team. Sure, I might get a kick out of seeing Team Canada beat them (something that will never happen, but that's what hockey is for), but the pleasure wouldn't last hardly a day, I think. When Team USA got their ultimate wake-up call 2 years ago in Athens, I was sort of depressed. Oh, how the once mighty had fallen. Team USA's bronze medal has impacted the game of basketball more than many people think or are willing to admit. Besides the obvious fact that scouts are searching harder than ever to find international talent, players such as Stephon Marbury (who should never have been selected for the 2004 team) and Steve Francis, to name only two, are now seen in a new light by most fans as all sizzle and no steak. In fact, this opinion has unfairly been applied to other players -- such as Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson; hell I'll even place my most hated player in the league, Wince Carter, into that group -- who impact the game better than Messrs. Marbury and Francis.

Which is not to praise Iverson et al too much. All three have proven to be tough to handle, and I don't mean on the court. Kobe knows how to win (and he's making a strong push to become this year's MVP frontrunner), but he's still one of the most selfish players -- if not the most selfish -- in the L. He's also a borderline nutjob, but that's pure conjecture on my part. Plus, I don't think rapists should represent any country in the Olympics. Maybe that's just me. Iverson has shown he can win, too, but I think he's still more concerned with scoring than making his teammates better. He's a hard worker on the court, but he doesn't put in the effort off of it; and he couldn't help the '04 team get it together. Sorry, come again. Plus, remember that the Beijing Olympics are still 2 years away. I don't think he'll be as sharp and effective as he is now, not with the punishment he takes regularly. I feel kind of bad for stating that Iverson shouldn't be a part of the '08 team (he's mentioned that he's in it to win it, which is saying something...unlike Tim Duncan, who has no sense of what a gold medal in '08 means to fans of USA basketball), but he couldn't help them out last time as, arguably, the team leader. I wouldn't make that mistake a 2nd time.

I'm not going to give much time to why Wince shouldn't be on the team. He'll have become a Thai citizen and have had his sex change operation by 2008 anyway, so why bother?

So Team USA needs some reliable, "team first" guys. They also need a great coach who can reach young players in a short period of time (ie. not Larry Brown, who may have singlehandedly lost the gold medal for Team USA in '04). Here's who I would pick. Please keep in mind that a lot can change in 2 years.

Dwyane Wade
I keep flip-flopping over whether Wade is better than Lebron. Honestly, I don't know. I like Wade better, I just wish he didn't turn the ball over so much, improved his free throw percentage (which actually isn't too shabby), and got over his allergy to shooting (and making) 3-pointers. Anyway, he's a no-brainer: he's young, he's got the right attitude, and he's, quite simply, a basketball marvel.

Lebron James Make him the captain. By 2008 he'll probably be averaging 35/9/11. Could singlehandedly win the gold medal if given the chance.

Chauncy Billups
The absolute perfect point guard to head Team USA. In fact, why not select the Pistons' entire starting five? Unlike the Spurs, they're all American. Does anyone believe that, with a superstar bench backing them, they'd have any trouble beating any country in the world? If they win the NBA Championship this year, they should receive some serious consideration.

Amare Stoudamire
If his surgically-repaired knee holds up, he's only going to get better.

Ben Wallace
You want D? Look no further. I think Wallace's 'fro and goo-goo goggles, combined with Rip Hamilton's face mask, would leave their opponents shook.

As a side-note, I've heard that Bruce Bowen is being considered because of his defensive skills, but dude'll be 37 in 2008. I just don't think he'll be as good a defender by that time. Plus, his "sweep the leg" technique probably won't fly too well on the international stage. Like Dikembe Mutumbo, Bowen is a true OG in the way he comes off as a really nice guy who really is a goon. Maybe that's needed, but by 2008 he'll be more Vito Corleone in the original Godfather film than Michael Corleone.

Chris Paul
Until he convinces me otherwise, he deserves to be on this team. His playing with a torn ligament in his thumb proves he has the desire to win -- and he's on the New Orleans freaking Hornets. No way he'll let down a USA team bound for glory.

Chris Bosh
By all accounts a great teammate with a level head.

Jermaine O'Neal
Ditto.

Dwight Howard
Double ditto.

Andre Miller
What's the harm in loading up on traditional, good-decision-making point guards and strong, young big men? Miller beats out J Kidd, because I think by then, with his age and that knee of his, Kidd might be eligible for the Special Olympics.

Kevin Garnett
He deserves to win something.

Richard Hamilton
This is probably the biggest no-brainer that isn't Lebron, but I bet he doesn't even get an invitation. Dude has nerves of steel in clutch situations, and would make the perfect complimentary SG to any of the above PGs.

Coach: Greg motherfuckin' Popovich. Phillie Jax is a close 2nd, but Pop knows how opposing countries' players will play better than any other coach, I suspect.

No comments: