Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Mr. 23 can't dunk on me.

Jordan felt 'used' by Wizards, surprised by firing

Associated Press


NEW YORK -- Michael Jordan felt "used" by the Washington Wizards and was surprised by his firing, he told CBS' "60 Minutes'' in an interview to be broadcast Sunday.

Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles in the 1990s, was the Wizards' president from January 2000 to September 2001 before coming out of retirement for the second time to play for the Wizards through the 2003 season.

"I didn't have to [start playing again],'' Jordan said in the interview. "But I did it with the benefit of trying to help an organization to get back on their feet. And the gratitude that was given? It was 'your service is no longer wanted or needed.' So I felt like I was used in a sense.''

He was fired by Washington owner Abe Pollin after a 110-179 record in 3½years as the top decision-maker, a role Jordan kept even after returning as a player.

Jordan said he didn't see the firing coming.

"No. If that was the case, I obviously wouldn't have gone back to play,'' he said. "I felt like I played injured, I went through [knee] surgery and I did the things that a lot of these young kids did not do.''

Wizards spokesman Matt Williams said the team had no comment.


Let me get this straight: you work for an organization, you do a poor job, and you're surprised that you got fired? And you have the gall to complain that you felt you were used?

Dude, you were hired to repair the ugliness that was the Washington Bullets/Wizards franchise. You did a poor job of it, and were subsequently fired. That's what happens. What, you think just because you're Michael fuckin' Jordan that you deserve some special treatment?

I just realized that I now have 3 one-ups on MJ:

1) I've never been fired from a job. Nanners!

2) I'm not an adulterer.

3) I can spell hemorrhoid without looking it up in the dictionary.

That last one is pure conjecture on my part, by the way. And while I also realize I haven't won 6 NBA Championship rings, I ask for patience on my readers' behalf. Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments: