Monday, August 27, 2007

The PK 27 -- Track 14

"Though odds were against us, I still took a chance."

My biographer recently asked me what song I consider the most romantic. Normally, this would be a question which would include a lot of introspection on my part, were it not for the fact that -- my twelfth-grade Creative Writing teacher, Ms. Brewer, is probably smoldering after that last part; in Constable Brewer's class, writing the phrase "were it not for the fact that" was considered akin to eating the charred flesh of burnt babies -- I've contemplated the question myself for the better part of a year.

In the Sparkles's Library of Romantic Songs, a lot of books have been checked out and returned late, but none moreso than Man Oh Man (I Wanna Go Back), by Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions.

Mayfield sings "I found you at last, with love at first sight," and, like a glove, I can find no better analogy or tired cliche to explain how heavenly this song fits.

I've fallen in and out of love not a few times in my laugh now-cry later life, and throughout it all has been the cooingly soothing voice of Curtis Mayfield, reminding me of the sweetness of time. And I'll never forget, no I'll never forget.

A chance in a lifetime was with us that night.

3 comments:

idealjetsam said...

OK, let me start:

What the hell are you talking about and what the hell are we meant to be doing with this?

Harrison Forbes said...

I think it's quite obvious, really.

denz said...

This is new and exciting.