Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Letters From a Delivery Truck Part the Second: An Open Letter to Shilo Inns

Ivan McAffee
Vice President, Sales and Marketing
Shilo Inns

Jen Ingber
Public Relations Coordinator
Bradshaw Advertising

Sir and Madam,

I am writing in regards to a Shilo Inns radio spot that has been running as of late in my area. I work on a furniture delivery truck and I spend a great deal of time listening to the radio, so I may give more thought or have a better chance to plumb both ads and songs for content, but I would like to explain an area of concern and I hope that you'll bear with me.

In the ad in question, Mark Hermstreet, owner and president of Shilo Inns, begins by telling us that "the American Spirit is alive and well." He elaborates on just why it is that Shilo is so proud to serve the American people and sums up by saying that Shilo Inns doesn't "outsource" any of its labor.

I would like to make two points and, unfortunately, the first point has to do with the end of the radio spot. That Mr. Hermstreet says Shilo Inns doesn't outsource any of its labor is, between you and me and the wall, ridiculous. Outsourcing is a concern of the manufacturing (or technological support) industry, and a chain of motels could no more outsource its jobs than the Pentagon could. To say that Shilo Inns doesn't outsource serves no purpose other than to exploit the prejudice and ignorance of people who don't really understand the economic concept being discussed. Honestly, I'm curious, how could a motel outsource labor? You can't very well put your Portland area motels in Calcutta, can you? No, I don't think that would be economically feasible. Maybe what Mr. Hermstreet means to say is that Shilo Inns won't employ anyone (even as a maid) who doesn't have the proper documentation to work in America, but even that is a highly dubious claim as many illegal immigrants have a relatively easy time obtaining forged or counterfeit documents (a huge forgery ring was recently busted--you can find details at http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/14628739.htm). So even if you are checking the documents of all your workers can you really honestly claim (via mass media) that you don't have any illegal workers in your company? I don't think you honestly can.

Much as the claims about outsourcing gall me, what really upsets me is the overall tone of the ad. Beginning with talking about "the spirit of America" seems to me a crass and gauche way of drumming up business. I see on Shilo Inns' website that the company has done a great deal for American Veterans and for that I applaud the company. God knows we could all do with recognizing those folks a little more. But when a company ties in its corporate identity (not to mention marketing/advertising) with the national identity, to me, it seems to play to people's baser natures. We know it's an American motel chain; all of its motels are in America, its corporate headquarters is in America and it's advertising on American radio stations. Why belabor the point? In my opinion it seems nationalistic, xenophobic and most especially jingoistic. It most assuredly plays on a "us vs. them" mentality and by using concepts like "outsourcing" it's not very hard to fathom just which ethnic/immigrant group it's setting up as a scapegoat.

Nor is it hard to see the demographic the ad is targeting and that is where I have to applaud you, Shilo Inns. As distasteful as I find this kind of advertising I honestly can't say I think it won't be effective. I live in Central Washington and I see and hear far too much of this exact kind of thinking espoused to believe you won't have a great deal of success with your recent marketing push. So let me leave off by saying that I'm all too aware that you'll be getting a large number of people's money by using this kind of rhetoric.

I just wanted to let you know that you wouldn't be getting mine.

TMH

No comments: