Sunday, April 13, 2014

Then Darkness Again and a Silence



Since spring has finally arrived on the peninsula*, we've taken Flash (AKA Little Maker) to the Spartan dog park in Jeongja these past two Sundays**. While the "park" itself -- an enclosure is a more apt description -- is subjectively crummy, it's a good way for Flashy to socialize with others of his kind: sniff butts, and have his butt sniffed. Sometimes it takes on an ouroboros quality.

I enjoy these short excursions because I get to see a variety of dog breeds. Today there were, among other gods***, a Border Collie, a Golden Retriever, and a Beagle. My wife often says that Beagles and Dachshunds make up two parts of the crazy dog quartet****, the other two being the Jack Russell Terrier and the Corgi, but you wouldn't have known it from how Flash and the female Beagle were acting.

The enclosure sort of feels like a school dance at times, not only because of how some of the dogs behave, but also because of how some of their owners do. No one strikes up a conversation, myself included. And while a lot of dogs mixed and mingled, Flash and the Beagle were playing the wall, though together, perhaps deciding that this dance was lame, man.

Maybe, under different circumstances, their mutual attraction could have flourished. Alas.

I suppose it's to be expected for living beings to act differently when they're inside an unfamiliar, closed space. But I've never been to prison, so I can't say for sure. Neither have I been castrated.

I still have a lot to learn.


* The sun is out; birds are singing; bees are trying to have sex with them, as is my understanding.

** If you're planning assassinating me, that's where I might be a week from today. I hope you miss me!

*** .esoprup no saw tahT

**** As a Beatles analogy, Flash would be George Harrison.

No comments: