Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Music of Chrono Trigger -- Top 10



I don't know if Chrono Trigger is my favorite video game ever, but it's in the conversation. It's definitely Top 5 material. As the story goes, I hate RPG almost as much as I hate noisy kids in restaurants and stomach flu, but when Kmart solicited me in 2008 to give the game a chance, I did so at first only to placate him, fully expecting to soon grow bored with another dull RPG, and instead I wound up loving Chrono Trigger to pluperfect death. It didn't take long for the game to reel me in, and now, a year and some change later, I'm as fond of Chrono Trigger as I am of my penis size. Full stop.

A large part of my love for Chrono Trigger concerns its music. The game's score is as beautiful a masterpiece as any great work of art created in ages past or modern. Quite simply, the Chrono Trigger music is genius. I'd never in my life listened to a video game's score as I would a rock album until I played Chrono Trigger. The score is that damn good. Pet Sounds, Dark Side of the Moon, and the Chrono Trigger OST. That's the list!

Yesterday I wrote about nostalgia, and while the game was released for the Super Nintendo in 1995, I wasn't introduced to it until 2008, on the Nintendo DS; so my affection is free of the fog of youth. The Chrono Trigger soundtrack is heavenly, and here are its ten steps to, in reverse order, like some fucked-up escalator:

10) The Day the World Revived

9) Main Theme

8) Boss Battle 1

7) The Brink of Time

6) Guardia Castle

5) Schala's Theme

4) Tyran Castle

3) Robo's Theme

2) Zeal Palace

1) Frog's Theme (Of course it's "Frog's Theme." How could it not be?)

---




Audiography:

Ice Cube, "When will They Shoot?"

Jefferson Airplane, "Somebody to Love"

Company Flow, "Worker Ant Uprise"

Pete Rock & CL Smooth, "Mecca and the Soul Brother (Remix)" (I pull women like a wisdom tooth/without any conversation from Dr. Ruth)

Ol Dirty Bastard, "Pop Shit" (Burn your fast food!)

Queen, "I Want It All"

Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Dani California" (b/w Tom Petty, "Mary Jane's Last Dance") (It only hurts when I laugh)

Ennio Morricone, "Gabriel's Oboe"

John Frusciante, "Carvel"

Katrina and the Waves, "Walking on Sunshine" (just deserts!)

No comments: