Thursday, March 12, 2009

Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- It's Blitz! (Review)




(Big up to TMH for alerting me to the digital release* of the YYY's third album. I swear, I'm behind the times like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer. Since Legs is away and I have cold beer in the fridge, your wish is my command, sir.)

As far as new music goes, the list of musicians whose work I follow isn't very long**. Chalk that up to old age and, possibly, living abroad. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, however, are definitely on that list, despite taking an inordinate amount of time between albums. It's been nearly three years since the band's sophomore album, Show Your Bones, was released, and a lot has changed in my life. (I got a brand new, kickass television, for one***.) And maybe it's the anticipation and knowledge that in a few minutes I'll be hearing Karen O's miraculous vocals speaking, but I'd wait twice as long for a great YYY album (then bitch and moan a year later, complaining about the band's lack of new material). So let's see how this badboy stacks up, yes? I hope it was worth the wait. Seriously, with the semi-letdown that was Zack Snyder's Watchmen, I really need some greatness in my life. Besides an awesome television, I mean.

Zero

Propulsive buzzes and Karen O's sweet crooning open the album. Oddly, this almost reminds me of The Killers, which is either a spot-on comparison or further proof how limited my taste in music runs. Perhaps both. I don't think it is, but it's fun to pretend this song is about Gilbert Arenas. Remember him?

Heads Will Roll

Again, a slight new wave feel to this one. Synths and chiming guitars. Then Nick Zinner -- who, along with Dwyane Wade and Dev Patel, I have a huge man-crush on -- brings the pain with his bold, driving ax work. What begins as a pretty meh song builds to something terrific. We're two for two.


Soft Shock


Make that three for three. Along with "Y Control," this is one of the YYY's most lovely songs. It warms my heart instantly. I mean it would, if I had one. (Word to Morrissey, that joke isn't funny anymore, if it ever was. I'm putting it away for a year.) And there it is: Karen O, cooing like an angel with dirty wings. Fuck it, I know I shouldn't smoke in my new apartment, but this song has straight away achieved "smoking song" status****.

(By the way, did I tell you that I ran out of cigarettes with one week left to go during our trip to Canada? I think I did, but what I didn't mention is that, in the midst of nicotine withdrawal symptoms, I tried smoking a potpourri of herbs and spices, wrapped in a page from the Bible. Exodus, I recall. You wish I were joking, so let's save me further embarrassment and pretend I am.)

Skeletons

This is...different. A spoken word track by drummer Brian Chase. Didn't see that coming. Ha, I'm just fucking with you. Seriously, though, is it possible this album can get any better? What a pretty, pretty song. I can't be sure, but Karen O might just be singing "skeleton me," which, if true, is both the weirdest and loveliest example of a noun being appropriated into a verb. It's like the street slang use of "body," used to refer to murder, but for white people!

(By the way, the last time I played Kmart at Mario Kart, I totally skeletoned him.)

[Edit: it's probably worth noting how blatantly this song cribs from the The Terminator theme.]

Dull Life

If I have one complaint so far, it's that the album, save its opening track, is, like Show Your Bones, light on the clashing rockers that made Fever to Tell such a revelation*****. This makes up for it, and, fingers crossed, the next track will cement my growing suspicion that this may be the year's best album so far. Hell, at this rate, it might be better than any album released last year, too. (That's why you visit PK, I hope; come for the kneejerk analyses, stay for the gushing hyperbole.)

Shame and Fortune

Not joking this time: I wasn't expecting an industrial metal track (or one as industrial metal as the YYY can muster). Color me pleasantly surprised, however, despite my earlier wish; for in music as in life, it's never a bad thing to want one thing and then get another. I, for example, wanted a nice, quiet life, away from chaos and conflict. But when I found myself on the receiving end of that which I detested, I somehow realized that, sooner or later, Jesus Christ and a fucking cool TV would be my saviors. Life is funny that way.

Runaway

I. Am. In. Love. Of course the album's longest track, at five minutes and thirteen seconds (positively epic for the YYY), would prove to be its most emotional. Is it corny -- and needy -- to say that Karen O has, on this album, echoed every single feeling of lust and love I've ever had? Well, I said it anyway. This album is one great big love letter to love. It's sexy.


Dragon Queen


I'm kinda running out of accolades by now. TMH, you will not be disappointed. Damn skippy, this is good. The YYY have never sounded so funky.

Hysteric

I'm gonna call this my least favorite song on the album, which, knowing me, means it'll be my favorite in, like, a day or two.

Little Shadow

Organs. I hate to say it, but for a few seconds I thought I was listening to Aimee Mann. Never a bad thing, I suppose, but you know.

Conclusion: A homerun. Time will tell whether It's Blitz! is the YYY's best album (exercise caution, Eoin*******!), but right now...damn, that's one spicy meatball.

5/5 *_*


* Why are you laughing?

** I'm probably forgetting a few, but here it is: LCD Soundsystem, The White Stripes, The Mars Volta, The Strokes, The Killers, El-P, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, TV on the Radio, and Yasunori Mitsuda.

*** I'm debating whether or not to feature it here, Psychedelic Kimochi-style.

**** A very ubiquitous phenomenon that was first brought to my attention by an affable, enormously tall German, wherein a smoker is inclined to celebrate -- usually while intoxicated -- a favorite song by smoking a cigarette. It makes no sense and perfect sense at the same time, and that's why some day I'll compile a list of all-time great songs to smoke to. I know you're waiting with bated breath.

***** Death by commas******!

****** and asterisks

******* But if I did that, I wouldn't have the most adorable daughter in the world, nor a large collection of dragon print silk shirts.

1 comment:

TMH said...

Requested and delivered. Thanks boss.