Thursday, February 19, 2009

Coming Up on a Minute Remaining in This Third Quarter



(Sometimes these post titles write themselves; sometimes -- usually is more like it -- alcohol does; and sometimes Marv Albert throws me a dime, as is the case tonight. Thanks, Marv, for providing me with the perfect metaphor.)

As much as I love Burlington, Ontario (16 years lived in), Bundang (5 years*), and Seoul (3 years), it is the city in which I was born, Canada's capital, Ottawa, that I have the most nostalgia for. Born in 1978, I lived In Ottawa** until I was six. Then my father, a civil servant for Environment Canada, was relocated to Burlington; and thus my life as a person who would do many things began. I grew up, moved around, learned how to shave, and then taught myself to shave against the grain. Now, here I am. My name is Eoin A. Forbes. I own a mansion and a yacht.

(There's your bildungsroman in a can.)

On this, the final minute remaining in the third quarter of my four quarters of Canada, on the night before I return to the place of my birth, please indulge an old man his memories...

Thanks for waiting.

Now here's a picture of me wearing a bra:



Smiles and cries.



* So far!

** Nepean, actually; but that's splitting hairs.

No comments: