Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Radiohead, In Rainbows (Review)

My introduction to Public Enemy occurred, like most, with 1988's monumental It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (God rest the soul of multi-dubbed cassette tapes). Since I liked what I heard -- and that's an understatement akin to saying I found breathing when I came out of the birth canal pleasant -- I sought out their debut, Yo! Bumrush the Show. Both are classics; although anyone who claims Bumrush a better record is obviously high or being contrary for the sake of it, similar to cats who claim Day of the Dead is George Romero's best zombie film.

Back in the day, I didn't like Bumrush as much because Chuck D wasn't as militant as he is on Nation: he peppered his rhymes about overcoming black oppression with songs about how fly his car was and loose, stuck-up girls. It didn't seem to fit for the man. Flav? OK, but I wanted my Chuck D a superhero of rage, not an afrocentric Kool Moe Dee. Maybe Chuck saw that himself and tailored his style accordingly. Regardless, the why is not important; what is is that by dropping all pretense of what characteristically made an MC likeable (wit, humor, an empathetic connection to one's listeners vis a vis rhyming about cars, clothes, and hoes) was defenestrated with the release of It Takes a Nation...Here was an angry man who had a lot of shit to get off his chest.

The result was one of the greatest albums of all time.

And here's where we get to Radiohead. And here's where I get to irony.

My introduction to Radiohead -- and we aren't counting "Creep" here -- occurred, like some, with 1997's triumphant OK Computer. Since I liked what I heard -- and that's an understatement akin to saying Nancy Lang is quite fetching -- I sought out their previous effort, The Bends. Both are classics, although...

I miss songs such as "Black Star," "High and Dry," and "Fake Plastic Trees". I'm not saying the (dour?) serious lyrics which Thom Yorke has employed since the group's third album make me like Radiohead less (I'm certainly not saying that), but just as Chuck D wasn't made to write songs about relationships and love, Thom Yorke WAS. Hell, it's been over ten years: I'd settle for a song about how shiny his rims are.

___

These are my thoughts, right now, as I am about to listen to Radiohead's first release in over four years; and to tell you the truth, I'm a little scared. And I'm not really sure why. If the guitars are minimal, I won't cry, I won't cry. If there are no songs about werewolves, no, I won't shed a tear.

Just as long, Radiohead, as you stand, stand by me.

[Note: I'm not giving the album a rating upon first listen. These are simply my thoughts as I relax and absorb what I pray will be a transcendent experience. I use my right hand for that.]


15 Step

Thom's got so much soul, he don't need no music. Groovy is the first word that comes to mind, sorta like Black Swan from The Eraser. Hey, melody! Welcome back, sweetheart. As far as album openers go, this is probably the worst of the band's career, it pains me to say.

Bodysnatchers

Hold the fuck on! Even though Thom sounds disinterested -- seriously, I like early-wakey, sleepy-eyed Thom, but this is a little ridiculous -- early on, he picks up momentum. I'm smiling right now. Those guitars are nuts! (Welcome back, sweetheart.)

Nude

Wait, is this Radiohead or The Arcade Fire? OK, it's Radiohead. Know how I can tell? 'Cause I'm still awake. (I'm only funnin'; I love TAF.) If I had a voice like Thom Yorke, I'd fuck me too. That was purdy durn good. I'm not full, but I'm satan*...uh, sated.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

I just can't get into jazz. Speaking of weird fishes, I feel the need to tell you that last night I had a dream in which I, my brother (Paul), and K-Hot visited China, and after a whole bunch of buildings crumbled due to mechanical resonance (word to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge) we fleed to safety in a boat. Then we saw a big fucking giant squid (is "big fucking" and "giant" redundant? I wonder). Then the squid ate K-Hot, and -- I apologize -- as the monstrosity was consuming him, I tried my best to get a good look at the thing's beak. I hear they got beaks like birds. If they do, I didn't see it. I did see K-Hot's entrails though, and that was pretty gross. My man, I will avenge you.

Oh, the song? My dream was better, minus the part about KMart dying.

All I Need (feat. Mary J Blige)

I'm a sucker for good drum beats like your moms is for flowers when your dad comes home after cheating on her. This is the only time I'll say this: would it be that bad if the group kidnapped and killed Thom, and replaced him with someone who sounds the same, like AC/DC did after Bon Scott died? All kidding aside, a great song.

Faust Arp

Like Paranoid Android castrated (somebody has to say it).

Reckoner

Fuck this, I'm all for an up-tempo track that builds momentum only to lull baby to sleep and then return to wake baby up, but when said track manages to lull but not wake, it's kind of like a wet dream to a post-adolescent male: full of promise and letdown.

House of Cards

"I don't wanna be your friend, I just wanna be your lover." This is as close to The Bends as we're going to get, but, like a Facebook message from the person you lost your virginity to, you accept it and fire up the memories. Then you ask Radiohead what they're doing these days and if they're happy.

Jigsaw Falling into Place

"OK, fellas, let's make an ALBUM!"

"Get a load of asshole."

Seriously, no one in the band will admit it, but the separation between Yorke and the others is so palpable on this that it listens as though the vocal and music tracks were recorded in Iceland and England, respectively.

Videotape

And now you have to go and melt my heart. Save the worst for first, the best for last.

Word to Nigel.

___

First impressions of planet Earth:

Psychedelic Disappointment. Thom's voice sounds wrecked (word to The D.O.C.). If this isn't the final Radiohead album before they reunite years later for a benefit concert, I'll eat my hat. And if I don't own a hat at the time, I'll buy one.

(I'd rather buy another good Radiohead CD, however. Question: on some zen shit, if I had paid more than 0.00 pounds for the download, would it have made my listening experience any better?)



* write that on my epitaph!

2 comments:

Harrison Forbes said...

It's better than Pablo Honey, I'll give it that.

idealjetsam said...

I'll give YOU Pablo, honey.

(Not sure what that meant. Sounded clever, though.)