Sunday, May 06, 2007

Building Steam With a Grain of Salt


A few thoughts on the Mayweather/De La Hoya bout: it's a good thing for the sport of boxing that I'm not a fight judge, because I had De La Hoya as the clear winner. Mayweather had the hardest hit of the fight, but Oscar controlled it, and he appeared, to me, to be the victor. Sure, Mayweather landed a higher percentage of his punches, but Oscar's had more of an impact. Then again, I drank an ungodly amount of beer and whisky last night and had a supreme hangover; so take my opinion with a grain of salt...I don't know what made me laugh harder, Floyd Jr approaching the ring wearing a sombrerro while 50 Cent rapped next to him, or Floyd Sr's amazing 'do. Let's say Floyd Sr's hair by split decision. Last year we had Kareem's jacket; this year we have Floyd Sr's hair. I love the month of May...Leo DiCaprio was sporting the same Chicago White Sox hat he wore in The Departed. I still don't understand how a character from Boston wears a White Sox cap, by the way [Edit: DiCaprio of course wore a Red Sox hat in The Departed. I'm buggin']...All in all, a good fight. Definitely not the best I've seen in my lifetime (that honor of course goes to Drago/Balboa), but entertaining nonetheless. The back-and-forth flurries of punches thrown by both men at the end of the 12th round definitely left me wanting more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I should be a snackfood inventor. Anyone who's ever had the pleasure of being in my company over the past few years has no doubt heard my idea that grilled-kimchi-flavored potato chips would be an absolute hit with the Korean populace. We have kimchi chocolate but no kimchi chips? A mad, mad world we are living in, friends and neighbors.

Here's what I don't get: The Golden State Warriors are the feel good team of this year's playoffs, so why is it that hopping on their bandwagon is a bad thing? Had they played this well the entire season, I'd have been a fan all along. My Canadian citizenship aside, the reason I love watching the Suns is because they play so marvelously. What, I'm supposed to just sit back and not acknowledge greatness? If Golden State can somehow keep up the momentum, I'll be right there rooting for them. Because I admire their brand of basketball. If they get knocked out next round by Utah...well, then I'll move on with my life, no regrets. I'm sure there's a fidelity/prostitution solicitation analogy in there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to make the connection. By the way, this year's 'offs are full of so many disappointing moments: no Gilbert Arenas; T-Mac failing, again, to make it to the second round; the reigning champs getting swept; Dirk choking again...by this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Orange Roundie makes a comeback. We are living in the presence of the Bizarro World NBA. Prediction: the Nets win it all and Wince Carter is named Finals MVP. Which would be a giant kick to the gonads for yours truly, but also fittingly appropriate.

Psychedelic Kimochi: to return soon. It's just that, as I told my shipmates earlier this week, I've been away from the Internet so long I've forgotten what women look like. Give me some time and I'll be straight (pun acknowledged). Suggestions welcome.

Denz: cooking up some marvelous shit to get your mouth watered.

Smoking: hazardous to one's health. I really gotta cut down. While you're here, I understand that there is a large number of men who fetishize women smoking. One would think that a country such as Korea, where women are rarely seen smoking in public, would contain a significant percentage of such men, non? I want a study conducted, not now but right now.

Speaking of fetishes: Floyd Mayweather Sr wearing Kareem's jacket. A man can dream, can't he?

Christopher Nolan films: only fun upon initial viewing. I'm convinced that anyone who willingly watches Memento and/or The Prestige multiple times has severe mental problems. Then again, I could watch M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs an infinite number of times (lyrics? Somebody want lyrics?), so take my opinion with a grain of sodium chloride.

Psychedelic Super-H(er)oes:

TMH as "Grey Hulk" (brains and brawn)



Kmart as "US Agent" (eerie resemblance)



denz as "Hawkeye" (cool like dat)



Mr. T as "Quicksilver" (because The Flash is DC, and PK ain't havin' it)



(pictured far right)

And The Little Spark Who Could as "Northstar" (because, um, I'm from Canada*?)



In-jokes: not very amusing to laymen.



*Puck acknowledged.

1 comment:

TMH said...

Wolverine was Canadian, too. Give yourself some credit!